The trends and research shows that we are in the midst of a shift and it is up to each and everyone working in the industry to embrace the shift and develop your spa, or to stand still and watch others pass you by.
More and more spas are adding “wellness” to its name calling it “spa & wellness” and we might in the future see the “spa” slowly disappearing.
Although the below study is from 2012, it is still valid showing the relationships between various wellness offerings. In this context spas are only 10% of Beauty & Anti-aging, and 15% of Fitness and there is no doubt that the three fields are reaching out to each others and slowly merging in various forms.
Will the spa industry be leaders and bring in beauty, fitness, nutrition etc. into spas or is any of the other fields going to lead the way and take market shares of the spa industry?
Fitness industry trends
We have picked 3 of the top 10 trends to highlight:
- Personal training (PT) – the number one trend for the past 5 years and we do not see this will change anytime soon. The wellness industry is all about results – and you reach your goal much quicker and smarter if you have someone breathing down your neck with mix of carrot and whip.
- Functional training in – Equipment out – functional training are exercises which allow individuals to perform the activities of daily life more easily and without injuries. Sounds pretty good? And it is, this is why it is sky rocketing in popularity and what is even better news is that functional training equipment is fairly cheap and does not require a lot space.
- Pilates & Yoga – by its self or in a fusion, doesn’t matter, more and more people are seeing the benefit of yoga and pilates.
Trends for health and wellness packaged food
- Cosmeceutical : topical beauty products which combine cosmetics and pharmaceutical properties and contain biologically active ingredients which have a cosmetic effect on the user.
- Nutricosmetic – ingestible beauty products (dietary supplements, food and drink) that have been developed to promote healthy skin, nails, hair and general beauty
- There is a growing market for teas for radiant skin, teas that helps you sleep, chocolate that makes you beautiful, supplements for strong nails etc.
- Choose wisely! According to Euromonitor organic, fair trade, environmentally friendly that further offer “instant” gratifications such as weight control, slimming, hair growth and immune support are top sellers among health and wellness packaged food.
Stay tuned for part 2 in a bout a week!